BIRAX AGEING CALL FOR PROPOSALS
BIRAX Ageing will fund ground breaking projects that will focus on diverse aspects of ageing-related health. Proposals must address at least one of the themes listed below. We will only fund joint collaborations between Principal Investigators resident and working in the UK and Israel. Proposals involving a lab from a third country are allowed, however BIRAX funding will only support the activities taken in Israel and the UK.
- The effect of ageing on human health: proposals addressing diverse effects of ageing on human health, exploring the basic mechanisms underlying ageing-related disease. The research proposals can address these issues using a broad range of biological organisationsal levels and scales, from molecular to cellular, tissues to organs and the entire organism and its environment. Multidisciplinary research plans based on synergising collaborations between the partnering researchers are recommended.
- Precision Medicine and big data in ageing research: We are also interested in proposals researching the use of big data and precision medicine in relation to ageing. In particular, we are interested in precision diagnostics and personalized effects of treatments specifically for older subjects, preventive measures and predictive analytics for older populations. Research proposals that contain a central "omics" component (e.g. genomics, epigenomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics) are encouraged.
Specific research priorities:
- The effect of ageing on human health: preventive, disease modifiying and regenerative medicine approaches to medical conditions and the ageing process. Proposals under this category must be relevant to at least one of the priorities below: Cardiovascular Disease, Diabetes, Growing Old with Diabetes, Neurodegenerative Conditions, Arthritis and Other Musculoskeletal Disorders, Age-Related Frailty and Other Geriatric Syndromes, Age-Related Multimoribidity
- Ageing and Technology: Precision medicine and big data in ageing research: Proposals under this theme will aim to identify innovative biomarkers, algorithms, computational and measurement techniques and to promote advances in precision medicine that would allow the prevention or mitigation of age related conditions or harmful effects associated with ageing. Proposals that build on effective collaboration between basic and clinical research and big data and those facilitating the translation of basic research to clinical practice will be prioritised.
Call for Proposals Indicative timeline:
- 15 October 2018, 22:00 GMT deadline for pre-proposal applications
- End of December 2018 Response letters sent out*
- Mid-February 2019 full proposal deadline*
- April 2019 Response letters sent out*
- July 2019 Announcement of successful projects
For details call for proposals : https://www.britishcouncil.org.il//sites/default/files/birax_ageing_call_for_proposals_1.pdf
For details guidelines applications: https://www.britishcouncil.org.il/sites/default/files/preliminary_proposal_-_guidelines_for_applicants_1.pdf